7 replies to this topic

#1 Underdog

Underdog

Community Leader

• Moderators
  • 651 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

So for a couple weeks I've been having a weird problem. Every so often, whatever I'm doing my PC it will tab out to desktop (perhaps alt-tab isn't the right term, but at any rate it shoves the desktop in my face). I recently realized that this was happening exactly every hour, at 11 minutes past. It's quite annoying whilst playing games, especially anything competitive or stuff that can crash/cause bugs/takes ages to load in when I tab out. I've had a look on Windows Event Viewer but I can't find anything at that exact time. Also had a look at my currently running processes and there's nothing there that hasn't been there since before this started happening, and I can't think of any updates to anything in the past couple of weeks that may have caused this.

Does anyone know any way that I can find out what is causing this? To me it seems like a simple case of working out what is causing and remove it, but working out what it is that wants me to look at the desktop is difficult.

Worth mentioning that I have run a full virus scan and nothing came up.

Twitter: @OnlyUnderdog

#2 Flappers

Flappers

Pure Member

• Super Supporter
  • 634 posts
  • LocationPoznan, Poland

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

What's strange is that it happens at exactly that time... 

With this in mind it could be a few things... 

Numero Uno... Virus. I know you said you ran a scan... and although it's most likely not the case, you can never rule it out. Try running malwarebytes full scan.

Deux: Check your Windows Updates. Perhaps they are scheduled to check/ install updates at that time, and maybe that is causing the desktop to show.

Trzy: Check your antivirus schedules. Perhaps there are scheduled scans running at that time.

It's weird, but I think it's some software you have running that has a scheduler if it is always happening at the exact same time.

Basically, check what software you have that runs in the background on your machine. It could be anything from antiviruses to some bloatware that was pre-installed with your machine... Just check what is running, and see if any of it has scheduling that checks for updates automatically and turn it off.

#3 Underdog

Underdog

Community Leader

• Moderators
  • 651 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reply, I ran another scan, still nothing, installed some windows updates and checked my update settings, nothing that would cause this. Then I went through my programs and features and purged a bunch of programs that I no longer need, guess I'll know whether it worked in 30 minutes or so.

#4 Stylosa

Stylosa

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the reply, I ran another scan, still nothing, installed some windows updates and checked my update settings, nothing that would cause this. Then I went through my programs and features and purged a bunch of programs that I no longer need, guess I'll know whether it worked in 30 minutes or so.

Did that work?

sty_sig.png

#5 Underdog

Underdog

Community Leader

• Moderators
  • 651 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

Did that work?

No :( It seems to have changed and started happening at 31 minutes past instead. I have a feeling it may be the software for my printer causing it, as that's the only thing I've re installed or changed that may have caused the time to change, but I can't exactly just uninstall it. Checked all the settings and anything schedule based that could cause this is turned off.

My printer is an Epson XP-312, so if anyone knows how to solve problems with Epson software that might help.

What I'm really looking for is a way of seeing what is causing it in some kind of log, but not sure if that is possible. If it is though, pinpointing the time is easy enough.

#6 Andrycus

Andrycus

Dedicated Member

• Supporter
  • 238 posts
  • LocationDevon, England

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'm far from being expert, but I remember there was a 'Task Scheduler' thing in windows. Just checked and sure enough it exists. Opening it shows all 'tasks' that are scheduled to be repeated, and the how often and when they're repeated.

I'm using Windows 7. To open 'Task Scheduler' I simpy type "task scheduler' in the Start Menu the click on it.

It looks complicated so search elsewhere of instructions, but you can choose to see tasks set up to start within a given time period, and double-clicking brings up more info about the task.

Dont know if that will be the answer but it's something else to try. You can work through the programmes in there, and if it is not one of them I guess you'll have to work through other programmes one at a time and turn them off.

Edit: I've ended up spending a little bit of time looking at my Task Scheduler, it's interesting to see secret inner workings of my pc. Just noticed you can enable History Logging which is what you want. The button that appears to do that is to the right of the screen and labelled 'Enable/Disable all Task History'. Not 100% sure what it will do because I've never used it before so do a search.

• Underdog likes this

#7 Underdog

Underdog

Community Leader

• Moderators
  • 651 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Found it in Task Scheduler and it was indeed the printer software checking for updates every hour (at 31 minutes past), despite me turning it off in the printer settings. Seems to have stopped the problem, cheers Andrycus :)

#8 Jonathan

Jonathan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

This happened to me too, but the problem gest solved every time I update Warface and when i update it again it begins again is there a way to do this because I relly want to play that game and I dont want that happening

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users